Sunday, August 5, 2012

Growing up in a big city, I missed out on a lot of small town things... one of the things being country fairs.  Yesterday, I had the pleasure in attending one and I heard and saw things that I never experienced before.


The first thing I attended was a RODEO! I have always wanted to go to one and I finally had the chance too, and let me tell you, I feel a little bit more American after attending it.
The opening ceremony started with a chariot made out of horse shoes and a parade of horse and riders holding flags of the sponsors of the event. After a couple trots around the arena, everyone stopped in the middle and the American Flags came out.  An announcement was then made, "Please stand for the best song in the world!" A woman came out of the chariot to sing the National Anthem.

After the "best song in the world" was sung, the events began!



There was a rodeo clown, which made sure to keep the small crowd entertained. After he broke his nose from a bull smashing into his "clown barrel," I thought of this guy's past and that MTV should develop a new show, "True Life: I Am a Rodeo Clown"



After one of the bull bucks, the Bull decided he was tired and laid down for 15 mins. I congratulated the bull for sticking it to the man and doing what he wanted. The rodeo clown did some great impromptu entertainment during this time.










One of the last events was the Calf Scramble, which the whole week when hearing the ad on the radio, I thought it was the Cat Scramble. I was wrong. But it was  kinda cute seeing a bunch of kids chasing calfs and trying to grab ribbons off the calf's tails. Don't worry they made sure to tell the 3-10 year olds not to get too close to the calsa or they would get kicked. 


After the 3.5 hours at the radio sitting in foggy coldness, trying to comprehend how they make these animals do this and if the animals get angry, we took some time to walk around the Fair. 

Yes, this was a prize for any age to win.
If this isn't American, then I don't know what is. 


I didn't go on any of the rides, because when you have been on the sleek, non rusty, non clanky that Magic Mountain has to offer...
these ride look like they would fall apart.


In the end, I don't think I will go to rodeo again and that I feel more american.
 I hope you all enjoyed my run down of a small town county fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment