Monday, August 13, 2012

This past Friday, I attended Outside Lands in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. I was super excited because I got to see two of my favorite artists Beck and the Foo Fighters. I have been listening to these musicians since the age of 6. The music of the both of these groups of artist contains more then one person and many instruments playing one song, as many of you know. With the Foo Fighters over, my friend and I decided to stick around to listen to Justice, who I had missed at Coachella and was interested and seeing preform. I got there expecting a lot of people being at Neil Young and Crazy Horse but found myself at this.

I apologize for the crummy photo
With the cross under the man known as Justice, and everyone moving their arms and bodies to the music or pumping neon crosses into the air, it felt like I had entered a cult. I don't have anything against electronic dance music or dub step (sorry I don't know enough information on what to clarify Justice as) or people who enjoy it, but it personally doesn't do much for me. After awhile, all I end up hearing is the continuous bass line. Another thing that bothers me is what makes the one DJ not just press play during his set. I understand that  a good or professional DJ should be similar to a band, if they are a great performer they get into their music and try to make it special at each preformance. I just feel that it is easier for one DJ person to just press play when they are not working with others during a performance.  At least Daft Punk has two people collaborating together. I don't know what I am trying to get at but it is something that I think about when ever I hear that continuous bass line. Again, I don't have anything against this music or people who like it because on occasion, I of course like to dance to it. I just have a hard time understanding the hype surrounding it.

I am open to the idea of being more educated about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment